Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Accidentally Fit

So the first day of Accidentally Getting Fit went well.

I made a whole bunch of cards with different exercises, grouped by colour for abs, cardio, arms and legs, with a few whole body exercises thrown in (burpees, ugh). I laminated the cards so they are morning-dew proof, and because I have a new laminator. I'm laminating everything. My house is a shiny morass of heat-sealed plastic paper.

To keep it random, in the morning I get the kids to draw out a couple of cards of each colour, then put them together to make a circuit. It works my whole body every time, and means I don't try and avoid the exercises I despise. (I'm known to be sneaky like that. I would be happy to never do another pushup again. I must have done about a million over the past ten years, all under duress.)

And then, just before my morning shower, I bring the kids outside and just get on with it. No excuses. If it's raining, I can do a full circuit inside, I have the world's dodgiest exercise bike but it does the trick.

Of course, I'm saying all this like a foregone conclusion, but I've only done it once! I'll try to power through the first 21 days it takes to make a habit, and then it should get as normal as brushing my teeth. Hmmm "should".... We'll see.

Yesterday was a good start, even through pushups were picked. Peanut spent most of the time jumping on the trampoline cheering me on, and telling me I was winning (at crunches!) and Bug just ran around waving her arms in an approximation of me doing weights, I guess. They both had a good time, and I did too, actually. It was nice to be out in the cool morning, breathing the fresh, washed air and enjoying some exercise endorphins.

I'm a bit stiff this morning, but I'll have some breakfast and head out to do it again. If you want to play too, you're welcome!

1 comment:

  1. Don't your kids climb on you while you are trying to do pushups, and crawl between your legs when you're doing squats? You have them well trained.

    ReplyDelete