Monday, January 21, 2013

I Love Lucy

We are a Two Dog House. 

However, with the necessary removal of our previous child-chasing, Archie-terrorising, Great Aunt-growling Panzer, we were missing a dog. 

Besides, Archie is nothing but a glorified canine throw pillow anyway.

And so.... 

(drumroll please, I promise she's worth it) 

....here's Lucy! 


Half kelpie, half schipperke, all love.

I would show you a picture of her sitting up, but I'm not sure she's capable of it when we're home. Every time we look in her direction she collapses in a heap in the hope of a belly rub. She even sleeps on her back, legs akimbo, neck stretched long. But she's a streak at the park!

She's amazing with the kids. She's calm, she doesn't jump up, she doesn't steal their food, and she doesn't mind if they take her ball to throw it. And if Bug does throw the ball her very hardest, all of two metres? Lucy will leap on it enthusiastically, gallantly playing the game as best she can, with exact the same energy and enthusiasm she expends on a proper throw by Mr Accident. 


Here's Bug, using Lucy as a pillow. Both of them are extremely happy with the situation. 

Archie has settled down immensely. You can almost hear the relief in the tone of his ongoing snores. He has a friend for the park, company for the morning garden romp, and someone to spoon with at night. Lucy has even joined him in his stair sleeps, stacked like a doggy bunk bed. 


Here they are. Lucy's actually dozing here, her nose though the balustrade, halfway between where I was sitting upstairs, and Mr A downstairs. (Then I moved of course, causing a complicated rearrangement of sleeping locations. Very thoughtless on my behalf, I know.)

Lucy has started to heal my heart. I didn't want her. I was still in shock from Panzer. I didn't feel I could welcome another dog so soon. But Mr A found her from a rescue group, and she was so perfect we couldn't pass her up. She needed us. We needed her too. And she's been a balm for everyone.


So that's how we'll leave this post today. Lucy exhausted from her run at the beach and flat on her back at our feet, and Archie snuggled in the beanbag and snoring contentedly.

We are a two dog family.

4 comments:

  1. What a paragon of a pooch - she looks and sounds ideal and worth a good deal more than a drum-roll. I would suggest a marching band, pipes and drums, balloons, streamers and a bag of pig's ears for her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad you and Lucy found each other. Well done, Mr. A! She's an adorable pooch. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on the new addition to your family! She is beautiful. How old? I've no doubt she's going to be a barrel of fun and excitement. :)
    ~S.

    ReplyDelete
  4. She's a cutie. Was very patient with all the delicious ham being consumed in front of her by a vast array of people, too.
    I'm greatly enjoying the addition of dog to my life (for the first time!!), too.. but there's still a teeny kitten shaped hole.. which I suspect will have to stay for a while.

    ReplyDelete